Adhirasam recipe with step-wise pictures. Adhirasam is the traditional south Indian recipe prepared during festivals. It is prepared with rice flour and jaggery. We prepare this during nombu festival and store for container. My mom and aunty prepare this together in batch, chatting and doing work. I use to help them and enjoy listening to their talk 🙂 🙂
- Raw rice – 1 cup
- Jaggery – 1 cup
- Cardamom powder – 2 tsp
- Oil – for deep frying
1. Wash and soak rice for 3-4 hours. Drain the water and dry it for few minutes by spreading it in cloth.
2. Add it to mixer and grind into powder. Sieve the powder in a bowl to get fine powder.
3. Add the coarse powder again to the mixer and grind it again and sieve.
4. Now let us prepare jaggery syrup. Add jaggery to pan and add little water. Boil this until jaggery dissolves.
5. Filter it to remove impurities and boil again until it comes to ball consistency. If you pour few drops of syrup in cup of water, then it has to settle down and we should be able to form a ball out of it. This is the consistency.
6. Add this jaggery syrup little by little to the rice flour and mix well to form little running batter. Let it sit for 6-7 hours.
7. Then knead again and take small ball of dough and place it on greased banana leaf or foil paper.
8. Grease hands and flatten it. Repeat for remaining dough and meanwhile heat oil in pan.
9. Drop the flattened dough into oil and cook on both sides until it turns brown keeping in medium flame.
10. Remove from oil and drain excess oil using kitchen tissues.
11. Store it in container and enjoy.
- Dry roasted sesame seeds can also be added to the rice flour for added flavour.
- The dough remains good for 3-4 days and athirasam can be prepared in batch.