Amlana / Imli ka amlana recipe with step-wise pictures. Amlana / Imli ka amlana is a tangy and sweet Rajasthani drink prepared with Tamarind and spices. It is appetizer drink served along with Rajasthan thali. It is completely refreshing and makes a great summer drink. I saw this recipe in jeyashriskitchen site and wanted to try it immediately as felt it quite interesting. The original recipe calls addition of black salt. As I didn’t have black salt, I have added chat masala and the drink tastes more like hajmola.
Soaking time : 30 minutes
Preparation time : 10 minutes
No. Of serving : 4
- Tamarind – gooseberry size
- Water – 1/2 cup + 4 cups
- Jaggery – 1/4 cup
- Chat masala – 1/2 tsp
- Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Ice cubes – as required
- Mint leaves – for garnishing
1. Soak Tamarind in 1/2 cup of hot water for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, squeeze the tamarind to extract maximum juice.
2. Discard the pulp and strain the tamarind extract to large bowl. Add remaining 4 cups of water to it and mix.
3. Add jaggery and stir well until jaggery dissolves. Strain it again to remove impurities.
4. Now add pepper powder, Cardamom powder, chat masala and salt to it. Mix well.
5. Pour into serving glass, add ice cubes and garnish with mint leaves.
6. Serve chilled and enjoy. You can also refrigerate for an hour before serving.