Ashoka halwa recipe with step-wise pictures. Ashoka halwa is a delicious and very popular dessert in Thiruvaiyaru in Tamil Nadu and hence also called as Thiruvaiyaru halwa. This halwa is made with moong dal, sugar and ghee as the main ingredients. This is also common in Tamil weddings and I have tasted for the first time in our relative wedding.
I was waiting to make this recipe for a long time and prepared it for a special day. Do you know what is that special day?? I have successfully completed 400 days of blogging continuously. Thank you each and every one of you who supported me directly and indirectly. Join my celebration with this special halwa.
You may also like similar recipes here:
Total time required : 35 minutes
No. Of serving : 3-4
- Moong dal – 1 cup
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Wheat flour – 3 tbsp
- Ghee – 1/4 cup
- Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
- Food color – pinch
- Cashews – 6
1. Wash the moong dal and pressure cook with 3 cups of water for 3 whistles.
2. Once the pressure releases, mash it well until smooth with hand blender or mixer. Fry Cashews in ghee and keep aside.
3. Add 2 tbsp of Ghee and wheat flour to a pan. Roast it well in low flame until it turns slightly color.
4. Now add the mashed dal to the flour and keep stirring in medium flame for few minutes.
5. Once it starts thickening, add the remaining ghee and keep mixing until ghee gets incorporated.
6. Add sugar, Cardamom powder and food color and mix well. The halwa will loosen again as sugar melts.
7. Cook in medium flame until the halwa starts oozing out ghee and leaves sides of the pan coming together.
8. Add Cashews fried in ghee and mix well. Switch off as the halwa turns glossy.
9. The tasty Thiruvaiyaru ashoka halwa is ready.
10. Serve warm and enjoy.