Aval payasam is a festival dessert cum sweet that we do often at home whenever we feel like eating sweets. It’s very simple to make yet delicious recipe. I always prefer adding jaggery as it is healthier option than sugar. I introduced aval to my baby girl as Poha kheer prepared without milk and we accompanied her having this payasam.
- Aval / Poha – 1 cup
- Milk – 2 cups
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Jaggery – 1 cup
- Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
- Ghee – 2 tsp
- Dry fruits powder – 2 tsp
- Saffron – pinch
- Raisins – 6
1.Heat ghee in a pan, add aval and fry till it turns colour. Take care not to burn.
2.Grind jiggery into powder in a mixie.
3.Add the boiled milk and water to aval. Cook in medium flame for few minutes.
4. When the milk reduces and aval gets cooked, add dry fruits powder, cardamom powder and saffron.
5.Stir it for a minute and when it becomes little thick, add jaggery and switch off the flame.
6.Mix well and garnish with raisins fried with ghee.
- Switch off flame within few seconds after adding jiggery as the milk would curdle.
- Cashews, Almond can be added by frying in ghee instead of dry fruits powder.