This is my post after a long time as my baby girl has become super active and I couldn’t take pictures of the recipes. However I made this simple and healthy recipe for breakfast and managed to update it here. I promise myself to update the blog managing her 🙂 🙂 (lets see).
Aval upma is very quick recipe that can be prepared in two minutes and hence a great recipe for bachelors and working woman.
- Aval / Flattened rice – 1 cup
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 1
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/3 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Ginger powder – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Salt – as required
1.Chop onion and tomato. Wash and soak aval in water (just enough to immerse it) for a minute.
2.Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard and Cumin seeds. When they splutter add onion.
3.When onion becomes translucent, add tomato along with turmeric, chilli and ginger powders.
4.Saute until the raw smell goes and they turn mushy.
5.Add soaked aval along with little water and add salt.
6.Stir well and cook in medium flame until the water dries.
7.Serve hot with curd.
- For white colour upma skip turmeric powder and replace chilli powder with green chillis.
- Peanuts and cashews can be added. This upma can be made in different style adding any veggies.
- A piece of ginger can be added instead of ginger powder.