Avarekalu masala vada / mochakottai masal vadai recipe with step-wise pictures. Avarekalu masala vada is a crispy fried snack that is best served with cup of tea in evening. This is same as south Indian masal vadai and prepared adding field beans which is also called as mochakottai in Tamil. The vadai is crispy outside and soft inside.
You may also like similar recipes here:
Soaking time : 1 hour
Preparation time : 20 minutes
No. Of serving : 5
- Channa dal – 1 cup
- Field beans – 1 cup
- Besan flour – 3 tbsp
- Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Onion – 1
- Red chilli – 4
- Garlic – 4 pods
- Curry leaves – 6
- Asafoetida – pinch
- Salt – as required
- Oil – for frying
1. Wash the channa dal and soak it for an hour. Chop onion and crush garlic roughly. Wash the field beans and pressure cook for one whistle adding enough water.
2. Once pressure releases, drain the excess water and add the cooked field beans to a blender. You can also add field beans as such without cooking but I prefer it cooking.
3. Drain the channa dal from water and add it to field beans in blender. Grind together coarsely. Field beans will mash easily and channa dal has to be slightly coarse. You can also grind it separately.
4. Transfer into mixing bowl, add all the remaining ingredients except oil. Mix well until combined. The batter has to be thick and check for salt.
5. Heat oil for deep frying. Check temperature by dropping small piece of batter it has to rise to top immediately.
6. Take small ball of batter and flatten it between hands. Drop it carefully into oil and fry in low flame turning both sides. Fry in batches without crowding the oil.
7. Once it turns golden brown on all sides, remove from oil and drain excess oil in kitchen tissues.
8. The crispy avarekalu masala vadai ready. Serve hot as evening snacks.