Avarekalu payasam recipe with step-wise pictures and video recipe. Avarekalu payasam is a traditional Karnataka sweet prepared with field beans. The payasam is delightful with the flavors of field beans, coconut and poppy seeds. It is delicious, healthy and can be prepared for any festival.
You may also like similar recipes here:
- black rice payasam
- sweet potato payasam
- jackfruit payasam
- nungu payasam
- elaneer payasam
- kasa kasa payasam
- mango coconut payasam
I have uploaded the video recipe of avarekalu payasam below. Subscribe to my YouTube channel for more video recipes.
Total time required : 20 minutes
No. Of serving : 4
- Field beans – 1/2 cup
- Coconut – 1/3 cup
- Poppy seeds – 3 tbsp
- Jaggery – 1/3 cup
- Salt – pinch
- Cardamom – 3
- Ghee – 2 tsp
- Cashews – 10
- Raisins – 10
1. Wash the field beans and cook for a whistle adding a cup of water. Once pressure releases, drain from water and keep aside. The field beans shouldn’t be cooked mushy. You can also de-skin it if needed.
2. Take coconut, poppy seeds and Cardamom in a mixer. Add little water and grind into thick paste.
3. Heat a pan, add jaggery and little water to dissolve jaggery. Once it is dissolved, filter to remove impurities and boil again.
4. Add the grounded coconut paste and cooked field beans to it. Boil in medium flame for 15 minutes. Keep stirring by mashing the beans slightly.
5. Add pinch of salt and Cashews raisins fried in ghee to the payasam. Mix well and switch off.
6. The delicious avarekalu payasam is ready.