Basbousa is an Arabian dessert that is prepared by soaking the cake in sugar syrup. This cake has become my favourite now. I had it in an resort when we went for our anniversary dinner. I just love the taste and searched for the recipe in Internet. I got the recipe from sannas food book blog and it came out so well and yummy. I prepared it for Ramanan and the guests just loved it. This recipe is a big hit and gave me confidence to try different recipes from other origin. Do try this delicious dessert and let me know ??
- Semolina/ rava – 1 and 1/2 cup
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Desiccated coconut – 1 cup
- All purpose flour – ½ cup
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Oil – 1 /2 cup
- Milk – 1 cup
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
- Almonds – 10 for garnishing
FOR SUGAR SYRUP:
- Water – 1 cup
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp
- Rose essence – 1 tsp
1. Let us make sugar syrup first, add a cup of sugar and water along with a tsp of lemon juice. Bring it to boil and cook until it is slightly sticky. Add rose essence, mix well and keep it aside.
2. Preheat oven to 180 degree and grease a round baking tin with oil and keep it ready.
3. In a bowl, combine together semolina, sugar, desiccated coconut, all purpose flour and baking powder and combine well.
4. To this add milk, vanilla essence and oil and combine evenly into thick batter.
5. Pour this batter to the greased cake tin and spread evenly. Line it with a sharp knife to get diamond shape. Place the almond at the center of each piece and press very lightly.
6. Bake it for about 45 – 50 minutes or the top turn golden brown. Remove from the oven. Line it with a sharp knife again.
7. Pour the cold sugar syrup over the hot basbousa or semolina cake. Cover everywhere with sugar syrup and allow them to soak for 30 minutes.
8. Let it cool. Our eggless semolina cake or basbousa is ready.
Slice and serve along with tea or coffee.