Basic vanilla sponge cake is one of the recipes that many readers has asked me to post. Though I have prepared some 5-6 cakes in pressure cooker, never tried this basic sponge cake. After I got oven, I didn’t try any cakes in cooker, now after a year I made this cake for this new year. The cake is soft, spongy and moist with flavors of vanilla and milk.
If you are looking for pressure cooker cakes then here are some options to look:
Total time required : 1 hour
No. Of serving : 1 small size cake
- All purpose flour – 3/4 cup
- Milk powder – 2 tbsp
- Custard powder – 2 tbsp
- Powdered Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Milk – 1/2 cup
- Curd – 2 tbsp
- Baking powder – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
- Salt – pinch
Preparation of cooker:
1. Remove gasket and whistle from cooker. Add sand or salt to the bottom of cooker for about one inch height.
2. Place a plate or separator on salt to maintain the distance between pan and bottom of cooker. This also distributes the heat evenly.
3. Close the lid and keep it in high flame for 2-3 minutes to create preheat effect.
Preparation of batter:
4. Sift all dry ingredients- flour,milk powder, custard powder, powdered sugar, baking powder and salt to a mixing bowl.
5. Pour oil, vanilla essence, curd and milk to the flour mixture. Mix and fold gently to make thick pouring batter.
6. Grease a small cake pan or thick vessel with oil. Pour the batter into the pan and place the pan inside the cooker without touching sides.
Baking cake in cooker:
7. Close the lid without gasket and whistle and keep it on high flame for 5 minutes.
8. Then lower the flame to simmer and cook for 45 minutes or until the inserted tooth pick at center comes out clean.
9. Let it cool completely. Run the knife at sides and gently invert to the plate. Dust some powdered sugar and decorate with sugar sprinkles.
Slice and serve. You can also frost the cake with your favorite icing.