Besan milk recipe with step-wise pictures. Besan milk or sheera is a traditional Punjabi recipe and considered as home remedy for cold and cough. This can be served as dessert. Normally the consistency is little thick like porridge and called as sheera or halwa. Some prefer it in thin running consistency and hence it is called besan milk. The method of preparing both is same and only the consistency varies. This can given to babies from 8 months for cold adding coconut milk instead of normal milk. I have used dates syrup as sweetener and you can use any sweetener of your choice. It is also very good for pregnant women and babies.
Total time required : 20 minutes
No. Of serving : 2-3
- Besan/Gram flour – 1/4 cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Milk – 2 cups
- Sugar – 3 tbsp
- Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
- Pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
- Chopped nuts – 2 tbsp
- Ghee/Butter – 2 tsp
1. Melt ghee in a pan and add besan flour to it.
2. Roast it well in low flame for few minutes until it turns color and gives the aroma of roasted flour.
3. Add water to the roasted flour and whisk well without forming lumps. You can also remove from flame, whisk it well and put again in flame.
4. Pour 2 cups of milk and keep stirring continuously in medium flame for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add sugar or any sweetener of your choice, chopped nuts, cardamom powder and pepper powder to it. Mix and cook until it becomes little thick.
6. Remove from flame once it reaches desired consistency of your choice. I have added dates syrup before serving.
7. Garnish with chopped nuts and enjoy.