Bitter gourd brinjal curry recipe with step-wise pictures. Bitter gourd brinjal curry / karela Baingan sabzi is a simple North Indian side dish for chapatti and rice. It requires only minimal ingredients and can be prepared in minutes. It is healthy and tasty side dish that is easy to make.
You may also like similar recipes here:
- Chettinad ennai kathirikai kulambu
- bitter gourd kulambu
- kathirikkai bajji
- kathirikkai poriyal
- pavakkai fry
Total time required : 15 minutes
No. Of serving : 3
- Bitter gourd – 1 medium size
- Brinjal – 6
- Onion – 1
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Amchoor / dried mango powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – as required
- Oil – 2 tbsp
1. Wash the bitter gourd, scrape the skin slightly and cut into thin circles. Remove the seed and white skin at centre.
2. Wash, cut the brinjal into thin slices and keep immersed in water to prevent discoloration.
3. Heat a pan adding oil, add the bitter gourd slices to oil and fry in medium flame until it turns darker color and shrinks a little. This is done to remove bitterness.
4. Remove the fried bitter gourd from oil. Add the chopped brinjal to the same oil and cook until it turns soft and changes color. Remove from oil.
5. To the same oil in pan, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds. Once it splutters, add chopped onion and saute until translucent.
6. Add turmeric powder, chilli powder and dry mango powder. Mix well and cook until raw smell goes.
7. Now add both the cooked veggies along with required salt and very little water. Saute well and cook for 5 minutes until combined.
8. The tasty bitter gourd brinjal curry is ready.
9. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot for chapathi.