Surakkai paruppu is a quick, easy south Indian side dish for rice. It is very simple version of bottle gourd curry that can be prepared within minutes on your busy day. I make this often for me and shravanthi during lunch. This is yummy with rice, ghee and appalam.
You may also like similar recipes here:
Total time required : 15 minutes
No. Of serving : 3
- Bottle gourd – 1/2 small size
- Moong dal / masoor dal – 1/2 cup
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 1
- Red chilli – 3
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Sambar powder – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Salt – as required
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Ghee – 1 tsp
1. Wash bottle gourd, remove seeds and cut into small pieces. Chop onion and tomato.
2. Wash dal and take it in cooker, add dal and tomato to the cooker along with 3 cups of water.
3. Close the lid and pressure cook for 2 whistles. Wait until the pressure seizes.
4. Heat a pan with oil, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Once it splutters, add onion and red chilli.
5. Saute until it turns translucent. Now add the cooked dal along with bottle gourd to the pan.
6. Add little required water and stir. Add salt, turmeric powder and sambar powder.
7. Mix and allow it to boil for 5 minutes in medium flame. Once everything is cooked to mashable consistency remove from flame.
8. Add a tsp of ghee and serve hot with rice.