Surakkai poriyal is a simple south Indian recipe that goes well with rice and sambar. You can also have it as such with rice. Bottle gourd is a healthy vegetable and has large water content in it.
Total time required : 20 minutes
No. Of serving : 3
- Bottle gourd – 1
- Onion – 1
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli – 3
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Sambar powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – as required
- Oil – 1 tsp
1. Wash, remove seeds and chop bottle gourd into small pieces.
2. Heat oil, add mustard seeds and once it splutters add red chilli to it.
3. Add chopped onion and saute well until it becomes translucent.
4. Then add bottle gourd and saute well for a minute.
5. Add required water, salt and all the dry powders. Mix well and cook covered for 10 minutes until the bottle gourd is cooked.
6. Remove from flame. Add roasted peanut powder to it and mix well.
7. Serve hot with rice.
Grated coconut can also be added to make it tastier.