Broken wheat which is known as godhumai rava in tamil is nutritious and low in fat, high in dietary fibre. This is very good diet food and helps in weight loss. This Khicidi is simple to prepare and makes good baby food.
- Broken wheat – 1 cup
- Moong dal – 1 /2 cup
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 1
- Mustard seeds – 1 /3 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 /4 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1 /2 tsp
- Sambar powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – as required
- Oil – 1 tsp
1. Dry roast broken wheat for two minutes in medium flame and wash moong dal and keep aside. Chop onion and tomato.
2. Heat oil in kadai, add mustard and cumin seeds. When they splutter add onion and saute well. Then add tomato and saute until it turns soft. Add turmeric, chilli and sambar powders to it and mix.
3. Add the roasted broken wheat and moong dal and stir well for a minute. Add 3 and half cups of water to it. Pressure cook for 4 whistles.
4. When the pressure seizes, mix well and add a tsp of ghee. If it is still watery cook for a minute stirring continously until it becomes thick.
5. Serve hot with garnishing Coriander leaves.