Carrot halwa is one of the popular desserts in India. This is my most favourite sweet. I prepared it in traditional method by slow cooking in heavy pan adding full fat milk, brown sugar and ghee. This is little time consuming but worth the effort due to its delicious taste. If you want to make it quickly, prepare the same in pressure cooker. I have added brown sugar so the colour will be little darker. You can add milkmaid or khoya for extra rich taste.
Also, check here for the video recipe of carrot halwa:
- Carrot grated – 2 cups
- Milk – 2 cups
- Brown sugar – 1/3 cup
- Ghee – 3 tsp + 1 tsp for frying nuts
- Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
- Almonds – 3 tsp
- Raisins – 3 tsp
1. Wash, peel and grate the carrots. Heat 2 tsp of ghee in a pan and add grated carrots.
2. Saute well until the raw smell vanishes and carrot shrinks.
3. Then add milk to carrot and cook in medium flame until the carrots gets completely cooked and milk reduces.
4. Stir occasionally and keep scraping the sides. Add sugar and cardamom powder.
5. Stir well and once it becomes thick, add 1 tsp of ghee and keep stirring.
6. The added ghee has to incorporate into the halwa. It has to be slightly sticky and leaves the pan when you stir. This is the consistency.
7. Add nuts and raisins fried in ghee and give a quick mix.
8. Remove from flame and serve hot or warm.