Black rice which is called kavuni arisi in tamil, is high in nutritional value and very good source of iron, vitamin E and antioxidants. The rice is hard, dark black in color and turns purple when cooked. The Kavuni arisi sweet is very famous in chettinad region in Tamil Nadu. It is not only healthy but also very delicious. The rice needs to be soaked for long time as it is hard. Though it turns soft as cooked, we get the chewy chunks of rice while eating.
I had this sweet in chettinad house hotel and wanted to try it at home. I searched for black rice in many shops in Dubai but couldn’t get it. So this recipe remained in my do list after reaching my mom’s place. As I came here for this year vacation to our native, got this rice and tried it immediately. The Kavuni arisi is delectable and can be prepared for any occasions.
Soaking time : 8 hours
Cooking time : 30 minutes
No. Of serving : 5
- Black rice – 1 cup
- Water – 3 cups
- Palm sugar / jaggery – 1/2 cup
- Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Ghee – 1 tsp
1. Wash the rice and soak adding lots of water for about 8 hours or overnight.
2. Drain the water and add the rice to a pressure cooker. Pour 3 cups of water to the rice, drained water can also be used.
3. Pressure cook for 5-6 whistles. Once the pressure seizes, open the lid of cooker.
4. Add palm sugar or jaggery along with cardamom powder to the rice. Mix and keep cooking in medium flame by mashing with a ladle.
5. Add grated coconut to it and mix well. Cook until it becomes thick.
6. Remove from flame and add in ghee. Mix and serve warm.
7. The delicious kavuni arisi pudding is ready.
- You can also add normal white sugar instead of jaggery according to your taste.
- Cashews and raisins fried in ghee can also be added but it is not added in the authentic recipe.