Chow chow kootu recipe with step-wise pictures. Chow chow kootu is a simple south Indian side dish prepared with dal, spices and coconut. It is coconut based curry that goes well for rice. Chow chow is a one of the water content vegetables and good to have it in summers. I have prepared this kootu with masoor dal and you can also use moong dal instead of it.
You may also like similar recipes here:
Total time required : 15 minutes
No. Of serving : 4
- Chow chow – 1
- Masoor dal – 1/2 cup
- Small onions – 8
- Tomato – 1
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Sambar powder – 1 tsp
- Red chilli – 4
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Salt – as required
- Coconut – 1/3 cup
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Pepper seeds – 1/4 tsp
1. Wash chow chow, peel the skin roughly and remove the seed. Chop into cubes.
2. Wash the dal and take it in pressure cooker along with required water (2 cups approx.), chow chow, small onion, tomato, turmeric powder and sambar powder.
3. Close the lid and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles. Meanwhile take coconut, Cumin seeds and pepper seeds in a mixer. Add little water and grind into smooth paste.
4. Once the pressure releases, open the cooker and mix everything mashing the dal slightly. Add 1/2 cup of water, grounded coconut paste and required salt to it.
5. Mix and keep it in medium flame again. Cook for 5 minutes until it starts boiling.
6. Heat a pan with oil for tempering. Add mustard seeds and once it splutters, add curry leaves and split red chilli.
7. Pour this tempering into kootu and mix well. Switch off the flame and serve hot with rice and ghee.