Eggless caramel custard recipe with step-wise pictures. Caramel custard pudding is a popular dessert with smooth caramel on top of silky custard pudding. It is usually egg based and prepared by baking or steaming. I have made it in simpler version adding agar agar powder. It is delicious, creamy, soft and perfect to enjoy in weekends. This is my special recipe that I made for valentines day. You don’t need an oven to make this delicious pudding and can be prepared easily in idli cooker.
For more agar agar recipes check here:
Total time required : 30 minutes
No. Of serving : 3-4
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Water – 2 tbsp
- Milk – 1/2 litre
- Custard powder – 2 tbsp
- Agar agar powder – 2 tsp
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
1. Take a saucepan, add sugar and water to it. Keep it in medium flame and melt sugar. Don’t stir and cook until the sugar caramelizes and becomes golden brown.
2. Pour the prepared caramel to a mould and refrigerate until custard is prepared.
3. For preparing custard, boil milk in a pan. Meanwhile take custard powder and agar agar powder in a mixing bowl.
4. Add 4 tbsp of hot milk to it and mix everything together without lumps.
5. Pour it into the boiling milk, add sugar and keep stirring continuously until the mixture thickens.
6. Remove from flame and pour the custard on top of the prepared caramel mould. Now place the mould in idly steamer and steam cook for 25-30 minutes.
7. Once it cools, cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours. Once done, run through the knife gently on sides and invert into a plate.
8. Serve and enjoy this delicious dessert.
- This pudding can also be prepared by baking it instead of steaming. Preheat the oven to 200 degree C. Place a tray with water inside the oven and keep the mould on the tray. Bake it for 30 minutes.
- You can also use agar agar strands if you don’t get it in powder form.
This can be enjoyed for any party or occasions.