Drumstick masala poriyal is a south Indian side dish for rice. It is thick curry that goes well for rice and dosa. This is more like a poriyal cooked in thick coconut curry. The masala coats the drumstick and get well absorbed that gives a extraordinary flavor and taste to drumstick. This is the first time I tried this recipe and liked it a lot. I had only one large drumstick lying in fridge so tried this poriyal as side dish for vegetable rice.
I have uploaded the video for this recipe below.
Total time required : 25 minutes
No. Of serving : 2
- Drumstick – 1
- Onion – 1
- Garlic – 5
- Tomato – 1
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Sambar powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – as required
- Coconut grated – 1/4 cup
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves – for garnishing
1. Wash the drumstick and cut into finger size pieces. Chop onion and tomato.
2. Take Coconut, fennel seeds and coriander seeds in a blender. Add little water and grind into paste. Keep aside.
3. Heat a pan with ghee, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Once it pops up, add chopped onion and saute well.
4. Add tomato and saute until it becomes soft. Add drumstick and saute for a minute.
5. Add turmeric powder, chilli powder, sambar powder and salt. Pour little water and mix.
6. Cover with a lid and cook until the drumstick gets well cooked.
7. Once cooked and becomes soft, add coconut paste to it and mix. Cook until the curry becomes thick.
8. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot as side dish for rice.