Vatha kuzhambu recipe with step-wise pictures and video recipe. Drumstick Vatha kuzhambu is a spicy, tangy kara kuzhambu side dish for rice. It goes well with rice and simple appalam or vadam. Any vegetables like brinjal, sundakkai, bitter gourd can be added to this kuzhambu. This stays good for long time and can be stored in airtight container.
You may also like similar recipes here:
- drumstick masala gravy
- chettinad ennai kathirikkai kulambu
- pavakkai puli kulambu
- pacha sundakkai kara kulambu
- mochakottai kara kulambu
I have uploaded the video recipe of drumstick vatha kuzhambu below. Subscribe to my YouTube channel for more video recipes.
Total time required : 25 minutes
No. Of serving : 3-4
- Drumstick – 2
- Tamarind – lemon size
- Onion – 1
- Garlic – 10 pods
- Red chilli – 4
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida – pinch
- Oil – 4 tbsp
- Salt – as required
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Sambar powder – 1 tbsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Sugar – 1 tsp
1. Soak tamarind in water for 10-15 minutes and extract the juice. Wash and chop drumstick. Keep aside.
2. Heat a pan adding oil, add Mustard seeds, Cumin seeds and Urad dal. Saute until it splutters and turns golden.
3. Then add red chilli, asafoetida, curry leaves and garlic. Saute for a minute until garlic turns color.
4. Add chopped onion and saute until translucent. Add the drumsticks and saute for a minute.
5. Now add the Tamarind extract along with required salt, Turmeric powder, chilli powder, sambar powder and Coriander powder. Mix and bring it to boil in medium flame.
6. Once it starts boiling, simmer the flame and keep cooking stirring occasionally until it becomes thick.
7. Add sugar to it, mix and cook until oil separates on top and it becomes thick.
8. Remove from flame. The tasty vatha kuzhambu is ready.
9. Serve hot with rice and appalam.
You can also store it in airtight container once it cools. It stays good for about 2-3 weeks.