Puli kulambu is a authentic, tangy, spicy south Indian gravy served for rice. It is favorite of many and of course my most favorite kulambu. Vegetables like lady’s finger, drumstick, brinjal are usually added to this puli kulambu and special kulambu powder is prepared and added. This version is quick and easy, prepared within minutes. I have added kulambu powder to this kulambu that I have posted already. You can refer to that powder recipe and prepare it before making this kulambu.
Total time required : 20 minutes
No. Of serving : 3-4
- Small onions – 10
- Garlic – 6 pods
- Tamarind – lemon size
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Oil – 4 tsp
- Curry leaves – 6
- Kulambu powder – 2 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – as required
- Jaggery – 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves – for garnishing
1. Soak tamarind in water and extract the juice. Keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard and cumin seeds. Once it splutters garlic, onion and curry leaves.
3. Saute well until it becomes translucent. Add the extracted tamarind juice to it.
4. Add kulambu powder, chilli powder and salt. Stir and cook in medium flame until it becomes thick.
5. The oil will separate and float at top. Add jaggery and stir well.
6. Remove from flame and garnish with coriander leaves.
7. Serve hot with rice and enjoy this tangy kulambu.
You can also store this kulambu in airtight container for a week.