Rasam is an integral dish in South Indian meals. It is simple and easy to make within minutes. It is comfort food during illness and aids in digestion. It is very light and mild in spices. I have prepared valakai varuval as a side dish for this rasam.
The best side dish to rasam rice is appalam or vadam. You can also pair it well with:
You may also like similar recipes here:
Now let’s see how to make this rasam. I have uploaded the video recipe of this easy rasam recipe below. Subscribe to my YouTube channel for more video recipes.
Total time required : 15 minutes
No. Of serving : 3
- Tomato – 1
- Tamarind juice – 1 and 1/2 cups
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Rasam powder – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida – pinch
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Pepper seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli – 2
- Coriander leaves – 2 tsp
- Salt – as required
- Oil – 1 tsp
1. Take cumin seeds and pepper seeds in a mortar and crush it well using pestle.
2. Soak tamarind in water and extract the juice. Wash and roughly chop the tomato. Keep aside.
3. Heat a pan with oil, add mustard seeds and once it splutters add curry leaves and red chilli.
4. Saute once and add tomato. Saute until it turns soft and mushy.
5. Add the tamarind juice to the pan. Add turmeric powder, rasam powder, asafoetida, crushed cumin pepper mixture and salt.
6. Stir and cook in medium flame until it starts boiling and becomes frothy.
7. Garnish with coriander leaves and remove from flame.
8. Serve it hot with cooked rice.