Thakkali kulambu is a south Indian gravy that can be prepared easily in minutes. This gravy can be paired with cooked rice, idli, dosa or chapathi. My personal favourite choice is to eat with idlies. I have not added much spices and you can add cinnamon, Cloves and other spices if you want to be spicier. I have grinded tomatoes before adding, you can added chopped tomatoes if you like chunks of tomato in gravy.
You may like other similar recipes here:
I have uploaded the video for this recipe below. Subscribe to my YouTube channel for more video recipes.
Total time required : 25 minutes
No. Of serving : 4
- Tomatoes – 5
- Onion – 1
- Garlic – 6
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Red chilli – 3
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Sambar powder – 2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Hing – 1/4 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 5
- Salt – as required
- Oil – 2 tsp
1. Wash tomatoes and cut into pieces. Add it to a blender and blend into thick puree. Chop onion and keep aside.
2. Take garlic and ginger in a mortar and crush it coarsely with pestle.
3. Heat oil in a Kadai, add mustard seeds, urad dal to it. Once it splutters, add crushed ginger and garlic.
4. Saute for a minute until raw smell goes. Add chopped onion and saute well until it turns translucent.
5. Add curry leaves and roughly cut red chilli. Saute for a minute.
6. Pour the tomato puree along with required water for the gravy. Cook until the raw smell goes.
7. Add turmeric powder, hing, coriander powder, sambar powder and required salt.
8. Mix and cook until the becomes thick and oil seperates on sides.
9. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve it hot.