Tomato rice is a flavorful south Indian variety rice recipe. This is one pot meal prepared in pressure cooker. It is best served with simple raita or plain curd. This makes a perfect lunch box recipe. Tomato rice can be prepared by making tomato gravy and mixing cooked rice or by adding raw rice to the gravy and pressure cooking it. This is my husband’s favorite and his method of making tomato rice.
You may also like similar recipes here:
I have uploaded the video recipe of tomato rice below. Subscribe to my YouTube channel for more video recipes.
Total time required : 25 minutes
No. Of serving : 3-4
- Rice – 2 cups
- Water – 4 1/2 cups
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 3 large size
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Sambar powder – 1 heaped tsp
- Green chilli – 3
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Salt – as required
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Ghee – 1 tsp
1. Wash and chop onion and tomato lengthwise. Heat a pressure cooker and add oil to it.
2. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Once it splutters, add slitted green chilli and onion.
3. Saute until translucent and add ginger garlic paste. Saute until raw smell goes.
4. Add tomatoes and cook until it turns soft and mushy. Now add required salt, sambar powder and coriander powder to it.
5. Mix well and cook until the oil separates. Add the rice to it and saute for a minute.
6. Now add the water to it. Mix, check for salt and bring to boil. Once it starts boiling, mix and close the lid.
7. Pressure cook for 3 whistles. Once done, allow the pressure to release by itself. Open the lid, add ghee and gently fluff the rice.
8. The tasty, tangy tomato rice is ready.
9. Serve hot with curd or raita.