I’m super excited to share this Christmas cake recipe. This is soft, moist and heavenly filled with dry fruits and nuts. This cake has wonderful aroma that fills the entire house while baking. I never thought the cake with rum would taste this much delicious. I bookmarked this recipe from veg recipes of India blog and wanted to try for really a long time.
I asked my husband for a bottle of rum and red wine for baking. He was puzzled and asked whether they will bake cake using alcohol too? And somehow got me after a week. So this weekend I wanted to surprise him with this cake.
This fruit cake is prepared by chopping all the dry fruits and soaking it in rum for a day or longer. I soaked it for about three days. If you want alcohol free cake, you can add orange or apple juice instead of rum for soaking dry fruits but refrigerate it. I have added brown sugar that gave a dark brown color to the cake.
UPDATED: The cake prepared by soaking the fruits and nuts in rum for a weeks time had its origin from Rome and the method is followed in Bahamas. The cake containing good deal of alcohol remains edible for many years. For example, a fruit cake baked in 1878 is kept as an heirloom by a family (Morgan L. Ford) in Tecumseh, Michigan.In 2003 it was sampled by Jay Leno on The Tonight Show. Source – Wikipedia.
- Dates – 1 cup
- Raisins – 1/2 cup
- Cashews – 1/4 cup
- Glazed cherries – 1/4 cup
- Tutti fruity – 1/4 cup
- Almonds, pistachios, Walnuts – 1/4 cup
- Rum – 1 cup
FOR MAIN CAKE BATTER:
- Wheat flour – 2 cups
- Brown sugar – 1 cup
- Oil – 1 cup
- Milk – 1 cup
- Vinegar – 2 tbsp
- Baking soda – 1 tsp
- Baking powder – 1/2 tsp
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon powder – 1 tsp
- Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
- Dry ginger powder – 1 tsp
1. Chop all the dry fruits and nuts and add it to a jar or box. Pour the rum, stir well and keep it closed. Let it be soaked for about 24 hours and stir in between so that it get soaked properly.
2. Preheat the oven to 180 degree and line the bottom of baking tin with parchment paper and brush oil on the sides.
3. Take wheat flour, add brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon powder, cardamom powder and dry ginger powder in a mixing bowl and mix everything well.
4. Then add oil and vanilla essence to the flour and stir well without lumps.
5. In a separate bowl take milk, add vinegar to it and stir gently. Then add baking soda and stir. The mixture will become frothy, add this to the batter and mix quickly.
6. Add the rum soaked dry fruits and nuts to the batter and mix well.
7. Pour this batter to the prepared tin and bake for about 60 minutes or until the cake is done.
8. Once it completely cools, slice and serve.