Eggless whole wheat gulkand cake recipe with step-wise pictures. I am here with a interesting recipe today, eggless gulkand cake. Gulkand is nothing but rose petals jam and it is well known for its cooling properties and relieves tiredness. It has a refreshing pleasant fragrance. I like gulkand so much for its unique taste and smell. This can be added to many Indian desserts like barfi, ladoo for added flavor. I wanted to try a healthy cake with gulkand for a long time. I had gulkand cake in a cake shop in our native and became addicted to it.
This cake is not only drooling and tempting but also no eggs, no direct sugar, no oil, no butter and baked with whole wheat. So you can enjoy it without guilty and worrying about calories. This is definitely my best try and did I tell you, it fills the entire house with beautiful aroma. I have made two cakes of small and big sizes for creating double layer.
- Wheat flour – 1 and 1/2 cups
- Condensed milk – 1 can or approx. 1 & 1/2 cups
- Gulkand – 1/3 cup + 3 tbsp for spreading on top
- Rose essence – 1 tbsp
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Baking soda – 1/2 tsp
- Milk – 1 and 3/4 cup
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp
- Salt – pinch
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and line the baking pan with parchment paper and grease with ghee.
2. Sift together wheat flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a bowl and mix.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together gulkand, rose essence, lemon juice and condensed milk. Pour it into dry ingredients making a dent a center.
4. Mix everything well. Pour the milk little by little and fold gently to get a slightly thick batter. The quantity of milk differs with quality of flour so adjust it accordingly.
5. Pour the batter into prepared baking pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until the inserted tooth pick comes out clean. Mine got done at 42 minutes.
6. Let it cool completely and spread the remaining gulkand jam on top of the cake.
7. Slice, serve and savor.
Simple cakes without frosting are my favorite and this is definitely the best cake I have prepared in recent days. See how beautiful and soft it is and I couldn’t stop taking pictures 🙂