A happy news is, this is my 200th post and let us celebrate with a healthy Zebra cake. This is one of the recipes that I am thinking of giving a try for long time. This is the second time, I have tried and it came out well. First time when I made this cake, it was very soft and turned into crumbles when I cut. I guessed it may be due to the batter that was in running consistency which resulted in disaster cake but I made cake pops out of it without wasting. I tried this zebra cake again and it turned out to be soft, moist and tasty. We totally enjoyed having this delicious cake and my husband reserved half of the cake for taking to his office. 🙂
- Wheat flour – 1 and 1/2 cup
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Yogurt – 1 cup
- Oil – 1/2 cup
- Vanilla essence – 2 tsp
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Baking soda – 1/2 tsp
- Cocoa powder – 2 tbsp
- Milk – 1/2 cup + 3 tbsp
- Salt – pinch
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and line the baking pan with parchment paper and grease with oil.
2. Sift wheat flour and salt in a bowl and mix.
3. Take yogurt in a bowl, add sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Whisk well for a minute until sugar dissolves and the yogurt becomes frothy.
4. Now add oil and vanilla essence to it and mix gently. Add in flour little by little and fold gently to get a thick batter.
5. Add milk to the batter and adjust the consistency. This has to be in dosa batter consistency, not too thick or thin.
6. In a separate bowl, take cocoa powder and 3 tbsp of milk to it and mix well without lumps.
7. Pour half of the batter to this cocoa mixture and mix well to form cocoa batter. Keep ready the remaining vanilla batter.
8. In a prepared pan, pour one tbsp of vanilla batter at center of the pan and it will spread by itself. Then pour one tbsp of cocoa batter to the center of vanilla batter.
9. Keep pouring the batter one followed by the other to the center until the batter gets over.
10. Bake for about 35-40 minutes or until the inserted wooden skewer comes out clean.
11. Let the cake cool for about 15 minutes before slicing.
12. Enjoy this delicious zebra cake.