French palmiers recipe with step-wise pictures. French palmiers is a cute, little heart shaped caramelized and flaky pastry. It is century old French recipe prepared with just two ingredients. This is also called as elephant ears cookies. I had a pack of store bought puff pastry and wanted to finish it soon. I remembered this recipes that I have bookmarked long back from here. I tried it immediately for evening snack and it is super delicious. It is flaky with many layers coated with caramelized sugar all over. I have used natural coconut sugar and you can use white sugar also. Homemade pasty sheets can also be used but I’m not sure of the flaky layers. The perfectly crisp, sweet and crunchy palmiers made with lots of love will make everyone’s heart and tummy happy. So spread your love preparing this cute little hearts for your loved ones. Can you see those little plates that are offered by shravanthi from her toy kitchen set. ??
UPDATE: I am sending this recipe for kid’s delight – mini bakes event by Gayathri kumar. You can find lots of interesting eggless baking goodies recipes in her blog gayathriscookspot. Also, have a look at kid’s delight – wholesome breakfast event organised by Srivalli of Spice your life blog.
Baking time : 20 minutes
No. of serving : 25 mini cookies
Recipe inspiration : cookwithkushi
- Puff pastry sheets – 1 pack (store bought / homemade)
- Sugar – 1 cup
1. Thaw the pastry sheets as given in the pack. If frozen then refrigerate it overnight and keep it in room temperature. Once the pastry is pliable start with the process.
2. Put some sugars on flat surface such as wooden board. Keep the pastry sheet on top of sugar and dust some sugar on top and spread evenly.
3. Roll the sheet flat gently using a rolling pin so that sugar is pressed into the pastry on top and bottom.
4. Fold the both the sides of the sheet towards the center so the folds meet exactly at the middle of sheet.
5. Again fold one half over the other like closing a book. It will look like a log, then slice into small pieces of about 1 inch wide.
6. Arrange it on parchment lined baking sheet and sprinkle some sugar on top if desired. It will puff up a lot so make sure they are few inches apart.
7. Refrigerate until preheating the oven to 180°C. Then bake for 18 to 20 minutes until it turns brown.
8. Let it cool completely and it will become crispier once cooled.
- Sugar palmiers are traditional recipe. You can also fill with cinnamon sugar, nutella or jam inside the pastry sheets.
- Store in airtight container and it remains good for few days. It loose its crispiness as days passes.
The cookies looked adorable that I couldn’t stop clicking the pictures.