Fried modak / Sweet samosa recipe with step-wise pictures and video recipe. Fried modak / sweet samosa is a fried kozhukattai recipe prepared for vinayagar chaturthi. It is crispy outside with stuffing made with peanuts and jaggery. I have used wheat flour for making the outer dough. I wanted to share five different recipes prepared in one go for ganesh chaturthi festival with the same dough. You can also make this with different stuffing with khoya, coconut or dry fruits.
You may also like similar recipes here:
I have uploaded the video recipe of fried modak below. Subscribe to my YouTube channel for more video recipes.
Total time required : 20 minutes
No. Of serving : 12 modaks
- Wheat flour – 1 cup
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Water – as required
- Peanuts – 1 cup
- Jaggery – 1/2 cup
- Cardamom – 2
1. Let’s start with preparing stuffing. Dry roast peanuts in medium flame until it turns golden.
2. Allow it to cool, remove the skin and add the roasted peanuts to mixer along with Cardamom and jaggery.
3. Grind everything into smooth powder and keep aside. This is the stuffing.
4. For making dough, sieve wheat flour to a bowl. Add salt and sugar to it and mix with a spoon.
5. Add water little by little to the flour and mix. Knead into smooth dough. Divide the dough into small balls.
6. Flatten the ball with rolling pin and cut into round shape disc. Repeat for remaining dough.
FOR MAKING GUJIYA / SWEET SAMOSA:
7. Take small dough disc and place a tsp of stuffing at centre. Close it from one end up the other and seal the edges well. You can also make it using mould as I did.
FOR MAKING MODAK:
8. Take a dough disc, place the stuffing at center and make fleat on all sides. Bring the fleats together and seal pinching on top together making modak shape.
9. Heat pan with oil for deep frying, once hot drop the modak or gujiya and fry in medium flame on both sides until it turns golden.
10. Remove from oil and drain excess oil in kitchen tissues.
11. The tasty fried modak is ready. Serve warm and enjoy for any festival.