Gingerbread men cookies recipe with step-wise pictures. Gingerbread men cookies are cute, spicy and chewy. It is also healthy and vegan version made of whole wheat flour and jaggery. I wanted to try this cookies for a long time and finally got a cookie cutter and made it for this year Christmas. The gingerbread men can be decorated according to your wish with royal icing. I have used store bought icing tubes for decorating. It was really fun making this cookies and decorating. I didn’t have molasses so used jaggery.
Total time required : 30 minutes
No. Of serving : 20 cookies
- Wheat flour – 2 cups
- Jaggery – 1 cup
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Oil – 1/3 cup
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Hot water – 1/4 cup
- Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon powder – 1 tsp
- Dry ginger powder – 2 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Clove powder – 1/2 tsp
- Nutmeg powder – 1/2 tsp
1. Sift together wheat flour and baking powder to a mixing bowl. Add salt and other powder spices to the flour and mix well with spoon.
2. Add oil to the flour and mix to form crumbles.
3. Boil water in a pan and add jaggery to it. Stir and boil until jaggery dissolves. Filter and keep aside. This is jaggery syrup. I have added the powdered jaggery and hot water directly to the flour.
4. Now add the jaggery syrup (or powdered jaggery and hot water) to the mixture and mix together to get a smooth dough.
5. Cover the dough with cling wrap and refrigerate for 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 180°C and line the baking tray with butter sheet.
6. After refrigeration, take out dough and roll it flat using a rolling pin for required thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutter and arrange the cookies in prepared baking tray.
7. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the edges turns slight brown.
8. Cool it completely and it becomes firm. Now you can start decorating the gingerbread men cookies.
Enjoy the mild spiced Christmas cookies.
- I have skipped adding nutmeg and clove powders but it is added in the original recipe.
- You can add molasses instead of jaggery syrup. If you don’t have both, you can add brown sugar.
This cookies can be stored in airtight container and remains good for 4-5 days.