Pacha payir payasam recipe with step-wise pictures. Pacha payir is a very good source of protein and fibers. The nutritional value of grains doubles when sprouted. This pacha payir payasam is delicious and also healthy. Sprouting green gram at home requires little effort but can be done easily. Store bought sprouted grains can also be used. Refer notes section for knowing how to sprout green gram. Do try this super healthy green gram payasam for diwali.
Preparation time : 20 minutes
No. Of serving : 4
- Sprouted green gram – 1/2 cup
- Milk – 3 cups
- Jaggery – 1/3 cup
- Cardamom – 3
- Grated coconut – 1/4 cup
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Cashews – 10
- Raisins – 10
1. Wash and pressure cook green gram for 2 whistles and mash it well. I have added it to blender along with cardamom and grounded into paste.
2. Boil milk in a pan and add the green gram paste to it. Stir well without lumps.
3. Cook in medium flame until it thickens. Keep in low flame and add grated jaggery and coconut.
4. Mix until the jaggery dissolves and remove from flame.
5. Heat ghee and fry Cashews and raisins until it slightly changes colour. Add it to payasam and mix.
6. The healthy payasam is ready. Serve it warm or chilled.
For sprouting green gram at home:
- Wash the green gram and soak it in water overnight.
- Then drain the water and place the bean inside a container with lid. Leave it for a day or two for sprouting.
- You can also place the bean in a cloth and hang it for a day to sprout.