Bajji is one of the tasty snacks that we get at evening in our place. The shops near our house prepare valakai and potato bajji. This would be so good when had with a cup of tea. I thought of doing apple bajji first and when I cut the apples found it was not good inside. So prepared it with onion, potato and few pieces of apple. I really love the taste of apple bajji, sweet inside and little spicy outside.
- Besan/ gram flour – 1 /2 cup
- Rice flour – 1/4 cup
- Cooking soda – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – as required
- Asafoetida – pinch
- Red chilli powder – 1 /2 tsp
- Oil – for deep frying
1. Peel the skin of onion and cut into thin circles. Wash potato and cut into thin slices. Wash the apple, remove seeds and cut into thin circles.
2. In a mixing bowl, take gram flour, rice flour, cooking soda, salt, chilli powder and Asafoetida. Add required water little by little to make thick batter.
3. Heat oil in kadai and check if it reaches required temperature by dropping small piece and it has to rise to top.
4. Dip the slices in the batter and coat on all sides. Drop slowly into oil and fry until it turns golden brown on both sides.
5. Adjust the heat accordingly and bajji has to cooked in medium flame.
6. Drain excess oil and serve hot with chutney.