Kaju katli is one of the famous sweet in India. This is my first try at home for raksha bandhan and came out really good. It is soft, divine and melt in mouth barfis. I have made it thin and square shape. For the previous year raksha bandhan we were in Gujarat and our neighbours celebrated it so grandly inviting us and tying rakhi and giving gifts and sweets. That’s my first rakhi celebration and seen how well they celebrate in North India. I remembered that this year and wanted to do the same kaju katli they offered us. I have added tutti fruity and rose water to the barfi that enhances the flavor and taste. My dear brothers and sisters happy raksha bandhan to you all and cherish your relationship forever.
Here is the video recipe of kaju katli. Subscribe to my YouTube channel for more video recipes :
- Cashews – 1 cup
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Water – 1/4 cup
- Rose water – 1 tsp
- Tutti fruity – 2 tbsp
- Ghee – 2 tsp
1. Dry roast Cashews for a minute or until hot enough to touch in low flame without changing color.
2. Transfer it to mixer and grind into powder. Don’t over-grind it as the cashew may release oil and become like paste.
3. Heat sugar and water in a pan. Stir until the sugar dissolves and boil for a minute.
4. The syrup has to be sticky and no need of any consistency. Once the syrup starts to bubble, add cashew powder.
5. Mix and keep cooking in low flame until it becomes thick and rolls together.
6. Add rose water and tutti fruity to it and mix quickly. Remove from flame and let it cool a bit.
7. When it is hot enough to touch, pour ghee and knead to soft dough.
8. Place a butter paper at top and roll the dough into circles. Adjust the thickness as you wish. Butter paper helps to get a smooth layer.
9. Cut into desired shape and store in a container. It stays good for a week at room temperature.
10. Decorate with silver paper and enjoy the melt in mouth kaju katli for any festival or special occasions.
- Cashews has to be in room temperature before grinding. If you have refrigerated bring to room temperature and grind.
- Dry roasting is to remove moisture from Cashews and it is optional.
- Rolling the dough between two butter papers gives a smooth finish.
- The cashew mixture will be sticky after cooking and becomes smooth and easy to handle after kneading.
- Tutti fruity is optional and you can also add chopped pistachios.