Kalmi Vada recipe with step-wise pictures. Kalmi Vada is a popular Rajasthani fried snack recipe. The vada is crispy outside and soft inside and makes a great tea time snack. This is similar to south Indian masal vadai but kalmi vadas are double fried by cutting into strips.
You may also like similar recipes here:
Total time required : 20 minutes
No. Of serving : 4
- Channa dal – 1/2 cup
- Onion – 1
- Garlic – 6 pods
- Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp
- Green chilli – 1
- Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Salt – as required
- Oil – for deep frying
1. Wash and soak the channa dal overnight. The next day, drain the channa dal from water and add it to mixer.
2. Grind into thick coarse paste sprinkling little water whenever needed. Transfer the paste into mixing bowl.
3. Now add finely chopped onion, green chilli, crushed garlic, coriander leaves, cumin seeds, chilli powder and required salt to it.
4. Mix everything together into thick soft dough. Heat oil for deep frying. Once hot, check temperature by dropping small piece of dough, it has to rise to top immediately.
5. Now simmer the flame. Take small portion of dough and flatten it with hands like vada. Drop into oil and fry until golden on all sides.
6. Do not crowd the oil and fry the vada in batches. Allow the fried vada to cool a bit and cut into four strips.
7. Fry them again in oil over medium flame until golden and remove from oil. Drain excess oil in kitchen tissues.
8. The crispy kalmi vada is ready. Serve it hot with ketchup or chutney.