Kasa kasa payasam recipe with step-wise pictures. This is 300th post of Shravs Kitchen, so come on lets celebrate with a healthy, different and delicious kheer. Poppy seeds is a tiny white seeds known as kasa kasa in tamil. Poppy seeds are widely used in masala for Indian cooking and it is a important ingredients in non veg cooking. It is rich in calcium, magnesium, potassium and phosphorus. They also contain high level of vitamin B and folic acid. The botanical name is papaver somniferum, which means induce sleep. Yes kasa kasa helps to promote good sleep. It is also natural body coolant and relieves thirst in summer. The payasam is delightful with the taste and flavor of kasa kasa, coconut and cardamom.
Shravanthi didn’t let me that day to take pictures and I managed taking it with her. You can see her cute little hands in the shot. I let her to do what she want and was surprised to see her garnishing the payasam with kasa kasa.. Then I felt no pictures would have come cuter than this.. Have a look below..
Total time required : 20 minutes
No. Of serving : 4
- Kasa kasa – 2 tbsp
- Almonds – 6
- Coconut grated – 4 tbsp
- Milk – 3 cups
- Palm sugar – 3 tbsp
- Cardamom – 2
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Cashews – 5
- Raisins – 5
1. Dry roast kasa kasa, coconut and Almonds in low flame for 2-3 minutes until the seeds turn slight brown.
2. Let it cool, add the roasted ingredients and cardamom to the mixer and blend into thick paste adding little milk or water. The poppy seeds has to be crushed well.
3. Boil milk in a pan and once it comes to boil, reduce the flame and add the grounded paste to the milk.
4. Stir and bring it to boil in low flame stirring continuously until it thickens a little.
5. Add palm sugar and remove from flame. Stir well until the sugar dissolves. The milk may curdle if palm sugar is added when boiling.
6. Fry Cashews and raisins in ghee until it becomes golden and add to the payasam.
7. Enjoy the delicious kasa kasa payasam.
- The payasam thickens a little when cooled so adjust the consistency accordingly.
- The poppy seeds has to be grounded well. You can also grind into powder without adding water and make paste in next step.