kashmiri pink tea / noon chai recipe with step-wise pictures. Kashmiri pink tea which is also called noon chai is a rich traditional tea from Kashmir. The traditional tea is prepared with a special tea leaves. The tea has a unique taste and pink color which is due to the addition of baking soda. This pink tea is usually served adding lots of nuts. This is one of the recipes that I wanted to post for a long time. This is the second time I’m preparing this, as I couldn’t achieve the pink color when I prepared for the first time. I have added green tea leaves and using the Kashmir tea leaves gives the exact pink color to the tea. There is a little trick to achieve this color to the tea. I couldn’t exactly tell the taste in one word. It is bit salty, sweet, milky and crunchy with nuts. If you love tea, then this kashmiri tea is a must try recipe for this weather.
Total time required : 15 minutes
No. Of serving : 2
- Milk – 2 cups
- Water – 2 cups
- Ice cubes – 5
- Green tea leaves – 1 tsp
- Cardamom – 2
- Baking soda – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Sugar – 2 tbsp
- Chopped nuts – 2 tsp
1. Take one cup of water in a sauce. Add green tea leaves and boil.
2. Once it comes to boil, add baking soda and whisk well for a minute. Boil for 2-3 minutes until it becomes frothy and dark red color.
3. Remove it from flame and add remaining cup of water and ice cubes. Mix everything well by pouring the tea to cup and re-pouring to saucepan.
4. Repeat this 2-3 times until the ice cubes dissolve. Doing this helps to achieve pink color. You can also whisk it vigorously for a minute.
5. Keep the saucepan with tea again in medium flame. Add milk, salt, cardamom and sugar to the boiling tea.
6. Whisk well and allow to boil for 5-10 minutes until it reduces a little.
7. Strain the tea to a cup using strainer and garnish with chopped nuts.
Enjoy this pink tea.
Add more milk for a lighter color.