Keerai poriyal is a simple and healthy side dish recipe. It goes very well for sambar rice, rasam rice or curd rice. It is good to include Spinach in diet daily as it is good source of vitamins and minerals. Siru keerai tastes good when made as poriyal than a kulambu. This recipe is from my mother who use to cook this often at home. It is important to wash the keerai well twice or thrice to remove the dirt.
You can also have a look at vallarai keerai thuvaiyal recipe.
I have uploaded the recipe video below. Have a look at the video and subscribe to my YouTube channel for more video recipes.
Total time required : 15 minutes
No. Of serving : 2
- Siri keerai – 2 cups
- Small onion – 1/2 cup
- Garlic – 5
- Tomato – 1
- Grated coconut – 1/4 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Sambar powder – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Salt – as required
- Oil – 1 tsp
1. Chop onion and tomato. Grate the coconut. Wash the keerai well and keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a Kadai, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Once it splutters add onion and garlic.
3. Saute well until it turns color, add chopped tomato and cook until it turns soft.
4. Add turmeric powder, chilli powder, sambar powder and required salt. Mix and cook for a minute.
5. Add the keerai to it and cook until it shrinks and turns color. It would take 2-3 minutes.
6. No need to add water, the water in tomato and keerai is enough to cook.
7. Once it reduces and get cooked, add grated coconut. Mix well and remove from flame.
8. Serve as side dish for rice.