Kerala appam recipe with step-wise pictures and video recipe. Kerala appam is a popular Kerala breakfast recipe that is usually served with coconut milk, Kadalai curry, egg curry or vegetable kurma. Appam is crispy at the sides and fluffy at center. This is my favourite light breakfast food and this is my first try at home. Though I use to order it often from hotel, never tried at home and was waiting to get appam chatti. It can also be made in normal pan. I have got a cup of appam batter lying in fridge and immediately thought of posting it.
You may also like similar recipes here:
I have uploaded the video recipe of kerala appam below. Subscribe to my YouTube channel for more video recipes.
Cooking time required : 30 minutes
No. Of serving : 3-4
- Raw rice – 1 and 1/2 cup
- Cooked rice – 1 cup
- Coconut milk – 1 cup
- Grated coconut – 1/4 cup
- Salt – as required
- Warm water – 1/4 cup
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Dry yeast – 1 tsp
- Coconut oil – as required
1. Wash and soak rice in water for 4-5 hours. Once done, drain from water and add it to blender.
2. Add grated coconut, cooked rice and coconut milk to the blender and grind everything into smooth batter. Add little water if required.
3. Now for proofing the yeast, take warm water in a bowl. Add yeast, sugar and salt to it and mix. Keep aside for 10 minutes until it turns frothy.
4. Add the yeast mixture into grounded batter, mix well, cover and keep aside overnight for fermentation.
5. Heat a appachatti, drizzle some oil and pour a ladle full of batter. Now slightly twist the pan in circular motion so that the batter spreads evenly.
6. Close with lid and cook in medium flame until it turns crispy and golden on sides. No need to cook the other side.
7. Remove from appachatti and serve hot with kurma or coconut milk.
8. The tasty kerala appam is ready.