Post about a water??…. Yessss, pinkish colour herbal drinking water… This ayurvedic red water is very known in kerala where it is served with food in restaurants and at home. The water is pinkish in colour due to pathimugam that is added and usually served warm. Pathimugam is Indian red wood that is widely used since ancient days and is an excellent herbal medicine. If Pathimugam is boiled in water, the water gets purified and thereby drinking this water can prevent epidemic diseases spreading through water. This herbal drinking water has the ability to cure anti-thirst, improvement of complexion and tendency to cure many types of diseases such as cancer, kidney disorder, piles, cholesterol, blood purification, stomach ailments, skin diseases, diabetics, heart diseases etc.
I had this water for the first time in a wedding at kerala when I was in school. Then recently when we went for a kerala restaurant they served this warm pinkish water. The next day I was interested in knowing about this water and started surfing. I was very much surprised to know it’s medicinal values and the very next day got a packet of PATHIMUGAM (Indian red wood) in keralite department store here. This is the picture of pathimugam.
Now let’s proceed with how to prepare this herbal water.
- Water – 1 litre
- Pathimugam – 1 tsp
- Boil the water in a vessel for 2-3 minutes and add the pathimugam to it.
- Once it comes to boil, switch off the flame and filter to remove the wood pieces.
- Serve warm.
- Pour this water into thermo flask and sip throughout the day as it is thirst quenching and refreshing.
- Pathimugam is available mostly in all kerala shops.
- Cumin seeds, dry ginger, fenugreek can also be added to the water.