Kinnathappam / steamed plate cake recipe with step-wise pictures. Kinnathappam or steamed plate cake is a traditional Kerala dessert prepared by Muslims during Ramadan. This plate cake is soft, wiggly and tasty. It is prepared with rice flour, coconut milk and sugar as main ingredients. Instead of adding coconut milk, I have added the grated coconut directly.
You may like similar recipes here:
Soaking time : 3 hours
Cooking time : 30 minutes
No. Of serving : 5
- Basmati rice – 1/2 cup
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Water – 3/4 cup
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
- Egg – 1
- Oil – 1 tsp for greasing
1. Wash and soak basmati rice in water for 3 hours. After it is soaked, drain them and add to mixer along with grated coconut and water.
2. Grind everything into smooth batter. Pour into bowl and keep aside.
3. Add sugar, Cardamom powder and egg to the same mixer and blend everything until combined. Pour this into the rice batter in bowl.
4. Mix together and the batter should not be too thick or too thin. Strain to remove any coarse particles and pour the batter into greased steel bowl that fits inside the steamer.
5. Sprinkle Cumin seeds on top and place the bowl inside steamer. Steam for 20-25 minutes or until it turns firm.
6. Once done, allow it to cool. Run knife through the sides and invert to a plate.
7. Slice, serve and enjoy this traditional sweet.