Kollu chutney / horse gram chutney recipe with step-wise pictures. Kollu chutney / thogayal is a south Indian side dish for rice. It goes well with appalam or simple rasam and rice. Horse gram is very healthy and aids in weight loss. It is good to include kollu in our diet in any form.
You may also like similar recipes here:
Total time required : 15 minutes
No. Of serving : 3
- Kollu – 1/2 cup
- Red chilli – 3
- Garlic – 10 pods
- Tamarind – gooseberry size
- Onion – 1 medium size
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Pepper seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – as required
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
1. Dry roast kollu in low flame for few minutes. Roasting it is optional. Add the roasted kollu to pressure cooker along with required water.
2. Pressure cook for 3 whistles. Once the pressure releases, drain excess water. You can use water for making rasam or add it while grinding chutney.
3. Heat a pan with oil, add Cumin and pepper seeds. Once splutters, add red chilli, garlic and onion. Saute until translucent. Add tamarind to it, switch off and allow it to cool.
4. Once cools, add it to mixer along with cooked kollu and required salt. Add little filtered kollu water and grind into coarse paste.
5. Now temper the items in kadai adding mustard seeds and curry leaves to oil, add it to the chutney and mix.
6. The healthy kollu thogayal is ready.