Kollu rasam / horsegram soup recipe with step-wise pictures. Kollu rasam is a healthy soup that aids in weight loss. This rasam can be had as side dish for rice with appalam. I make this rasam often along with kollu chutney. This can also be had as such like a healthy soup.
You may also like similar recipes here:
Total time required : 20 minutes
No. Of serving : 3
- Kollu – 1/2 cup
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 1
- Garlic – 6 pods
- Tamarind juice – 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – as required
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Red chilli – 2
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Coriander leaves – for garnishing
1. Wash kollu and pressure cook it for 3 whistles adding enough water.
2. Once pressure releases, drain the water and keep aside. You can use the cooked kollu for making chutney or sundal.
3. Chop onion and tomato roughly and add it to mixer. Grind together and keep aside.
4. Now heat a kadai with oil, add mustard and Cumin seeds. Once it splutters, add red chilli and curry leaves.
5. Add crushed garlic and saute for a minute. Now add the grounded onion tomato paste and saute until raw smell goes.
6. Pour the Tamarind juice and filtered kollu water to it along with required salt, Turmeric powder and chilli powder.
7. Mix well. Boil in low flame until it turns frothy and starts boiling. You can also add some grounded cooked kollu to it.
8. Garnish with Coriander leaves and remove from flame.
9. The healthy kollu rasam is ready. Serve hot for rice with appalam.