Kondakadalai which is called as channa is a healthy and tasty lentil, that can be used to prepare gravy, puli kulambu or sundal. The famous recipe with kondakadalai is channa masala which is a best accompaniment for chapathi. The kulambu with kondakadalai for accompanying rice is not usually prepared but it goes so well with rice too. The kulambu prepared with coconut milk gives a rich taste and flavor.
This is thick gravy prepared with freshly grounded masala powder that spreads the aroma to the entire room. I have already posted kondakadalai kulambu (black channa) in another version. You can also have a look at that similar recipe.
I have uploaded the video recipe below. You can subscribe to my YouTube channel for more video recipes.
Total time required : 30 minutes
No. Of serving : 3-4
- White channa – 1 cup
- Small onions – 10
- Garlic – 6
- Tomato – 1
- Coconut – 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Sambar powder – 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Pepper seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon – 1/2 inch
- Salt – as required
- Oil – 2 tsp
1. Wash and soak channa in water overnight. Once soaked, boil it for 5-10 minutes. Drain the water and keep aside.
2. Take coconut in a blender, add a cup of water and blend well. You can strain to extract only the milk. But I haven’t strain and added along with coconut. Keep aside.
3. Take cumin seeds, pepper seeds and cinnamon in a mortar and grind it coarsely using pestle.
1. Heat oil in a pan, add onion and garlic. Saute well until it turns translucent.
2. Add tomato and saute well until it turns mushy. Transfer half quantity of the sauted onion and tomato to a blender.
3. Add channa dal to the remaining onion and tomato to the pan and saute for a minute.
4. Meanwhile, add Coriander seeds along with little water and blend into paste.
5. Add the grounded paste to the pan. Add little water and cook until the raw smell goes.
6. Add the crushed cumin, pepper and cinnamon mixture to it and stir.
7. Add channa to it along with turmeric powder, chilli powder, Sambar powder and required salt.
8. Mix well and cook until the channa is well cooked and soft. Add the coconut milk and mix in low flame.
9. Remove from flame and garnish with coriander leaves.
10. Serve it hot for rice.