Filter coffee is an integral part of many south Indian families and morning always starts with it. The kumbakonam degree coffee is very famous for its flavor and aroma. The degree coffee is prepared with pure cow’s milk without adulteration and high quality coffee powder with less amount of chicory. The speciality of kumbakonam degree coffee is that it is prepared in brass coffee filter served in brass dabarah tumbler set.
Do you know why it is called degree coffee? There are various reasons for the name. The purity of milk is tested using lactometer which is called degree and the pure milk is called degree milk. The first decoction from the filter is called first degree. We are using that milk and decoction for the preparation thus leading to the name degree coffee, which got its origin from kumbakonam. Hence leading to kumbakonam degree coffee.
We use to enjoy this degree coffee in annapoorna hotel and go there often only to enjoy this coffee. I wanted to post this recipe long back but waited as I thought of presenting in authentic way. So got the complete set in brass recently to enjoy this traditional south Indian filter coffee daily at home.
FILTER COFFEE MAKER:
Filter coffee maker has two cylindrical compartments / cups placed one over the another. The upper cup has small holes at the bottom to filter and also includes a pressing disc. The lower cup is to collect the strong filtered decoction.
Total time required : 15 minutes
No. Of serving : 3
- Filter coffee powder – 3 tbsp
- Hot water – 1 cup
- Milk – 2 cups
- Sugar – 3 tsp
- Decoction – as required according to taste
1. Boil water. Add a good quality filter coffee powder to the upper cup. Place the pressing disc and pour the hot water. Close the lid and keep aside for 15-20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile boil the milk in a pan. Once it comes to boil, reduce the flame and keep boiling until the decoction gets collected to lower compartment. Take care not to burn the milk at bottom.
3. Now, add sugar and pour the required amount of decoction to the dabarah (usually more quantity of decoction gives a strong coffee).
4. Add the boiled milk to the decoction. Now mix everything by pouring the coffee to the tumbler and back to the dabarah. Froth it well.
5. The kumbakonam degree coffee with all its flavor and aroma is ready.