First of all Happy Independence day to all my brothers and sisters. Independence day special recipe from Shravs Kitchen is kunafa or Knafeh. I have prepared this Arabic sweet with our Indian tricolour. Kunafa is the Queen of arabic desserts. It is royal and most celebrated sweet in middle east. This is usually prepared at home during the month of Ramadan. Living in Dubai without liking kunafa is impossible and it is available mostly in all restaurants. This is sweet and savory prepared with special vermicelli like dough. Kunafa dough is available in many supermarkets. This is baked by filling and soaked in sugar syrup. There is many variations in making kunafa with different filling like cheese, cream, fruits and chocolate. I have prepared with cheese and milk pudding. The preparation involves three steps. Preparing sugar syrup, milk pudding and kunafa crust.
I had this dessert for the first time in a mandi restaurant (place where the family can sit in floor in a separate cabin and eat the briyani in very big plate). After that whenever we go out for eating, we would end our treat with this delicious dessert. This is my most favourite sweet in Arabic cuisine.
UPDATED: This Kunafa recipe has won third prize in eggless baking contest conducted in the month of August by Archanaskitchen.com.
Click here for the video recipe of kunafa. Subscribe to my channel in YouTube for more video recipes.
- Kunafa dough – 1/2 packet
- Butter – 2 sticks or 200 gms
- Pistachios – 1/4 cup
- Orange food color – 2 tsp
- Green food color – 2 tsp
- Milk – 1 cup
- Corn flour – 2 tsp
- Rose water – 1 tsp
- Mozzarella cheese – 1/2 cup (shredded)
FOR SUGAR SYRUP:
- Sugar – 1 and 1/2 cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp
- Rose water – 1 tsp
1. Preheat oven to 180° C. We shall start with preparing sugar syrup. In a saucepan add sugar and water and boil until it becomes sticky and comes to syrup consistency.
2. Remove from flame, add lemon juice and rose water. Stir and keep aside.
3. Next for preparing filling. Heat milk and add corn flour whisking vigorously without forming lumps. Boil keeping it in low flame and once it thickens, add rose water and let it cool.
4. For preparing kunafa crust, break the strands of kunafa dough with hands. Add melted butter and mix well with hands to coat it well with butter. Now divide the quantity of coated strands into two.
5. In one half of the strands add Orange colour and mix well until it gets coated. In the next half add green colour and mix well with hands until coated well.
6. Take the baking pan lined with parchment paper and greased with butter. Add the orange colored pastry to the bottom and press well into even layer.
7. Then pour the milk pudding and spread evenly. Sprinkle the shredded cheese above the pudding.
8. Now, add the green colored pastry at top and press down gently. Add chopped pistachios at top.
9. Bake it for about 45 minutes in preheated oven at 180° C until the top turns brown and crispy.
10. Once baked, let it cool and pour half of the sugar syrup at top.
11. Take a knife and run through the sides. Place a plate at top and flip gently. Pour the remaining sugar syrup over the kunafa and add chopped pistachios.
12. Slice and serve warm. The cheese may become hard so always make it hot before serving.
Enjoy this royal dessert at home.