Kuzhal payasam is a old traditional recipe prepared during any festival especially for vinayagar chathurthi. This has become forgotten recipe as I don’t see anyone preparing it often. I got this recipe from my grandmother who prepares this for us when we were young. I wanted to prepare a very special recipe for this vinayagar chathurthi as tried this delicious payasam. I would say the taste is outstanding and the best ever.
There are many variations in preparing hand made noodles with wheat flour, rice flour or maida. I used wheat flour and cooked in jaggery syrup. This is not only delightful but also healthy. Do try this for this vinayagar chathurthi as a appealing sweet.
- Wheat flour – 1 cup
- Jaggery – 1 cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Rice flour – 2 tsp
- Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
- Dry ginger powder – 1 tsp
- Coconut milk – 1/2 cup
- Grated coconut – 1/3 cup
- Cashews – 10
- Raisins – 6
- Ghee – 2 tsp
- Oil – 1 tsp
1. Dissolve jaggery in water or boil until it dissolves. Filter to remove impurities.
2. Take wheat flour in a bowl, pour little jaggery water to it and knead into smooth dough.
3. Add a tsp of oil and knead well again. Take small ball of dough and roll into noodles using hands.
4. If you want to make it quickly, then put dough into muruku maker and make into small strips then cut into small pieces.
5. Sprinkle a tsp of rice flour to the noodles to make it non sticky and seperate from each other.
6. Heat the remaining jaggery water again. If you want add little water and jaggery and bring to boil. No need of any consistency.
7. Then add the noodles to the boiling jaggery water and cook covered in medium flame for 10 minutes until it gets cooked.
8. Add cardamom powder and dry ginger powder to it. Stir gently without breaking the noodles.
9. Then add grated coconut and coconut milk. Stir and cook for few minutes.
10. Sprinkle a tsp of rice flour and mix well without lumps to make it thick.
11. Once it becomes thick, remove from flame and add Cashews, raisins fried in ghee.
12. Mix well and let it become warm.
13. Garnish with nuts and enjoy the delicious payasam.