Madurai jigarthanda recipe with step-wise pictures. Jigarthanda is a refreshing summer drink that is very famous in Madurai. This is my favorite dessert drink. I had it for the first time in a hotel in Dharmapuri and we will be getting only in that hotel. So we go there often only to taste jigarthanda as they serve it in exact Madurai style. The main ingredients for making jigarthanda is badam pisin and nannari syrup (sarsaparilla syrup).
I wanted it so this recipe from long time but couldn’t get badam pisin here. So searched in many shops for about a month and finally got it yesterday. Badam pisin will be available in Ayurveda shops and if you don’t get it then the same can be prepared with China grass (agar-agar). Nannari syrup can also be replaced with rose syrup.
The authentic recipe is made with a special ice cream prepared with reduced milk. I know it would be really time consuming to prepare ice cream and also I couldn’t wait to taste it again. So went for store bought ice cream. The ice cream definitely plays the key role in the recipe and I will post the ice cream recipe very soon.
Soaking time: overnight
Preparation time: 25 minutes
No. Of serving : 2
- Milk – 3 cups
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Badam pisin – 1 and 1/2 tbsp
- Water – 2 cups
- Rose syrup – 2 tbsp
- Vanilla ice cream – 2 big scoops
- Tutti fruity – 2 tsp (optional)
1. Wash and soak badam pisin in water in a bowl by covering overnight. It will increase it quantity so adding more water is important. Keep it refrigerated until use.
2. Boil milk in a pan in medium flame until it reduces to half and the color changes to little brown. I recommend to use full fat milk for creamy taste and richness.
3. Add sugar and mix until it gets dissolved. Boil for a minute and remove from flame. Once it comes to room temperature keep it in freezer for 15 minutes for quick cooling.
4. To assemble, gather all the ingredients. Add a heaped tsp of soaked badam pisin to the serving glass.
5. Then add a tbsp of rose syrup, followed by the chilled thick milk until it reaches 3/4th of the glass.
6. Add a scoop of ice cream on top and garnish with tutti fruity.
7. Serve immediately and relish this refreshing drink.