Mangai sambar recipe with step-wise pictures and video recipe. Mangai sambar is a south Indian gravy for rice, dosa or idli. This is tangy gravy prepared adding cooked dal. It is very simple, easy recipe that can be prepared in minutes.
You may also like similar recipes here:
I have uploaded the video recipe of mangai sambar below. Subscribe to my YouTube channel for more video recipes.
Total time required : 25 minutes
No. Of serving : 3-4
- Raw mango – 1 medium size
- Masoor / Toor dal – 1/2 cup
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 1
- Green chilli – 1
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Sambar powder – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Grated coconut – 2 tbsp (optional)
- Salt – as required
- Oil – 2 tsp
1. Wash the dal and add it to cooker. Add 2 cups of water and chopped tomato to it. Close the lid and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
2. Meanwhile, wash the mango, cut into cubes and remove the seed. No need to remove the skin of mango.
3. Once the pressure releases, open the lid and mash the dal slightly. Keep aside.
4. Heat a pan adding oil, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Once it splutters, add slitted green chilli and chopped onion. Saute until it turns translucent.
5. Now add the mango cubes and saute for a minute. Add required salt and water to it and bring to boil.
6. Once it starts boiling, add turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder and sambar powder.
7. Mix well and cook in medium flame until the mango pieces gets cooked and turns transparent.
8. Now add the cooked dal to it and mix. Add required water for the gravy, check for salt and boil for few minutes until frothy.
9. Switch off the flame, add some grated coconut and mix. Garnish with coriander leaves.
10. The tangy mangai sambar is ready.