Hi friends… My special recipe for this new year is ulunthu vadai in both sweet and spicy version. This is one of the traditional recipes we try at home for festivals. My grandma prepares this often when I was pregnant as she says recipes prepared with urad dal is very good during this period. Yes.. Urad dal recipes are healthy especially for girls. The spicy vadai can be soaked in sambar and had as sambar vadai. It also goes well with coconut chutney.
- Urad dal – 1 cup
- Rice – 1/3 cup
- Oil – for deep frying
- Cooking soda – pinch
- Food colour – 1/4 tsp (optional)
FOR SWEET VERSION:
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Salt – pinch
FOR SPICY VERSION:
- Onion – 2 medium size
- Corainder leaves – 2 tsp
- Salt – as required
- Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Wash urad dal and rice with water and soak them for 3 hours.
- Drain the water and grind urad dal and rice together till fluffy sprinkling little water.
- The batter has to little thick and divide the batter quantity into two for making Inippu and kara vadai.
1.Heat oil in a frying pan and when it is hot turn the heat to medium flame.
2.Add sugar and water in a pan. Let it boil and sugar syrup becomes little thick to sticky consistency.
3.In one part of batter add pinch of salt, baking soda and food colour. Mix everything well.
4.Slightly wet hands and take small ball of batter and drop into hot oil.
5.Cook in medium flame for few minutes and flip the other side. Cook till it turns golden brown and crispy.
6.Remove from oil and drop into sugar syrup. Repeat the process for remaining batter.
7.Let the vadai remain in syrup for 10 minutes. The crispy sweet methu vadai is ready to be served.
1.Chop onions finely and add to the batter.
2.Add coriander leaves, chilli powder, cooking soda and salt. Mix everything well.
3.Wet hands and take small amount of batter. Make into doughnut shape by using thumb to make hole in the middle.
4.Drop into hot oil and fry in medium flame. Turn the vadai and fry till it turns crispy and golden brown on both sides.
5.Remove from oil and serve hot with sambar or coconut chutney.
- Green chilli can be used instead of chilli powder. Cumin seeds and pepper seeds can be added.
- Rice is added to make the vadai crispy. Chana dal can be added while soaking the urad dal and it gives nice texture.
UPDATE: The first picture and the video are updated when I prepared the sweet vadai for Krishna Jayanthi.