Mor kulambu is a traditional south Indian kulambu recipe for rice. It is instant and can be prepared in minutes. This is spicy, tangy and flavorful. The main ingredients is buttermilk, ginger and cumin. You can also add vegetables like white pumpkin, lady’s finger, raw banana. There are many variations by adding soaked dal but this method is simple and can be prepared when you are in hurry.
The flavors of ginger and cumin when combined with buttermilk makes it heavenly. I always add extra quantity of mor kulambu for little rice. A cooked rice with mor kulambu and simple potato poriyal makes a great combo.
You can also like similar recipes here:
I have uploaded the video recipe for mor kulambu below. Subscribe to my YouTube channel for more video recipes.
Total time required : 15 minutes
No. Of serving : 3-4
- Thick curd – 1 cup
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Coconut – 1/3 cup
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Green chilli – 1
- Red chilli – 1
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – as required
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 6
- Oil – 1 tsp
1. Take curd and water in a wide bowl. Whisk it well to make buttermilk. The buttermilk has to be thick. Keep aside.
2. Add coconut, green chilli, Coriander seeds, cumin seeds and ginger to a mixie jar and grind into smooth paste adding little water.
3. Add this grounded paste to the buttermilk along with turmeric powder and required salt. Mix well.
4. Heat a pan with oil, add mustard seeds. Once it splutters add red chilli and curry leaves, Saute for a minute.
5. Pour the buttermilk into the pan and cook in low flame until it becomes frothy.
6. Do not over boil and remove from flame once the froth is formed on top and it starts boiling.
7. Serve it hot with rice.